[LLVMdev] "grep -w" irregularity

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Wed Dec 31 00:35:27 PST 2008

* Scott Michel:

> On my _local_ x86_64 Ubuntu 7.10 machine, the shift_ops.ll is an
> unexpected success (i.e., "grep -w shlh %t1.s | count 9" succeeds.)
>
> I get the same unexpected success on my x86_64 Mac 10.4.11.
>
> On the x86_64 buildbot, the same test fails. The culprit is grep,
> evidently. It's just that simple.

There have been issues the GNU libc regular expression code.  Try
running with "unset LANG" (or "LC_ALL=C") and see if it improves
things.

The problem is that the regexp code used to be unacceptably slow in
multi-byte locales such as UTF-8, and the patch Debian applied to
improve its speed wasn't 100% correct.