[LLVMdev] Enhancing the Trident compiler

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at mac.com
Mon Dec 29 07:05:39 PST 2008

Hi Nico,
                  Yes, that's true! :-)  I just listed it in order of
short-comings of the existing compiler.

I've been reading up on existing tools, and it would appear that a
couple of commercial tools exist, most notably Xilinx AutoESL, which
supports C, C++, SystemC and M-code. Others support better C
functionality, e.g. c-to-verilog, which does not have the current
limitations of Trident. Some of them already use gnu gcc for doing
some of the work.

So, the conclusion I can draw is that there definitely is scope for
improvement, and it is not a technological limitation. Others have
done it, but unfortunately all of them appear to be commercial ones,
with prices ranging from $145000 to $170000 for a compiler license.

Ok, so if I were to start working on re-writing Trident to use
LLVM-2.4, what should I keep in mind? Where should I start?

Is there a link I can use to find out the differences between LLVM-1.5
and LLVM-2.4, to come up with a migration strategy?

I need links to docs that will teach me how LLVM-15 and LLVM-2.4
operates, to understand and perform this task. :-)

Any help would be appreciated!! :-)

Best regards,

Elvis