[LLVMdev] Intrinsics question

Marc de Kruijf dekruijf at cs.wisc.edu
Fri Dec 5 20:29:40 PST 2008

Is it necessary to modify the front-end (in this case, for C) to generate
new intrinsic calls for a particular target?  For instance, say I wanted to
allow programmers to call a function "foo" that does some target-specific
magic.  I want "foo" to be handled as an intrinsic by the back-end, but all
intrinsics needs the "llvm." prefix, and I can't declare a function called
"llvm.foo" in C.  Can it be done some other way?  Or do I need to hack it
with inline assembly or some sort of intermediary find/replace
transformation.

Marc