[LLVMdev] Dependence Analysis [was: Flow-Sensitive AA]

Vikram S. Adve vadve at cs.uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 22 09:30:14 PDT 2008

In the general case, I think you have to be conservative about this
because programmers may deliberately want this kind of "wraparound"
behavior, e.g., with periodic boundary conditions.  But 99.9% of
programs probably don't need that so it would be bad to penalize them
for this corner case.  In such a situation, I think you just have to
support both choices, but choose the default as sensibly as possible.
I discussed this with Matthieu and this is what we came up with:

1. (Eventually) Support both choices: conservative or optimistic.
Conservative means you assume that index arithmetic can wrap around;
optimistic assumes it cannot.  What I think you've implemented is the
optimistic case.

2. Have a default choice but give the programmer an option to force
this on or off.

3. (Matthieu's idea) Default to optimistic if the index expressions
are i32, but conservative if i8 or i16.  This assumes that there is no
good reason to use i8 or i16 index variables except for wraparound
behavior (and it is highly unlikely that programmers are using arrays
of size 2^32 *and* requiring wraparound behavior for that).

Of course, for now, we don't have to implement the conservative
version: what you've done should be good enough.

--Vikram
Associate Professor, Computer Science
http://llvm.org/~vadve