[LLVMdev] Eliminating gotos

Mon P Wang monping at apple.com
Fri Aug 15 10:34:10 PDT 2008

Hi,

I like Eli approach here. Phases like SimplifyCFG and various loop
transformations are just to useful to cleanup code and generate much
high quality output.  If we look at the passes, I hope we might be
able to quantify what changes they make.  My hope is that since the
incoming graph is reducible that it doesn't cost that much after
running these phases to make them reducible again.  Eli's approach
reminds me of some loop transformations techniques where one compute a
matrix of legal transformations, try them, and then potentially undo
them if they are not profitable.  In this case, I don't think we want
to go this far but it is a nice model to use as it allows us to
leverage as much as possible of LLVM phases to cleanup the code.

   -- Mon Ping