[LLVMdev] Two new 'llvmnotes'

Gordon Henriksen gordonhenriksen at mac.com
Sun Apr 27 14:59:52 PDT 2008

On 2008-04-27, at 15:56, Chris Lattner wrote:

> On Apr 27, 2008, at 12:49 PM, Nick Lewycky wrote:
>
>> Chris Lattner wrote:

>>> I agree that 'get/insertvalue' are pretty generic, and am welcome
>>> to suggestions.  Get/set *field* imply that this applies only to
>>> structs, but it also works with arrays.  I would actually prefer
>>> get/insert *element* but insertelement is already taken.
>>
>> What's wrong with using insert/extractelement for arrays and
>> structs as well as vectors? They're all sequence types.
>
> Vector insert/extract element take (potentially variable) Value*'s
> for the index and only allows one index.  Aggregate get/set take
> constants and are variadic.

Forbidding variable indices for arrays would seem to rather reduce
their utility (precisely to that of a homogenous struct). Granted,
lowering makes updating an indexed value much uglier, but it would
seem to be an already-solved problem for vector lowering. Is it
completely impractical to use the same rule as GEP?

— Gordon