[LLVMdev] PHP Zend LLVM extension (SoC)

Nuno Lopes nunoplopes at sapo.pt
Wed Apr 23 11:44:48 PDT 2008

Thank you both for your answers!
That part of type inference was my second question. PHP uses a structure
with a union to represent a variable (because a variable can have different
types, like a long, a double, a stream, etc..), but often a single variable
will only have one type throughout the program (e.g. iterating through $i in
a loop). Will LLVM automagically see that we always use the same type for a
certain variable and discard the whole union and use a single scalar (and
also discard all the type checking done in the opcode handlers)? We can do
some type inference on our side if we do a pass on the bytecode, but I would
like to be sure if that's needed or if LLVM will do it on its own.

Well, about the opcode handlers, that's great news that we don't need to
inline them by hand. Now I only need to fix clang to compile PHP :P

Thanks,
Nuno