[LLVMdev] Google Summer of Code Projects

Luis Felipe Strano Moraes luis.strano at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 16:36:51 PDT 2008

First of all, I'd like to thank the entire LLVM team for this opportunity.

Torvald, google only displays the abstract on the results page, but I do know
about Tanger and it was mentioned in both the proposal and the comments
that followed, I'll write an email to you later with that info in a
bit, and I do intend
to use as much available infrastructure as possible, and tanger/tinystm are
certainly going to be of great interest to the project.

I'm kind of on a deadline right now, but I'd like to arrange a meeting
on irc or
something like that some time if you can do it. Do you hang on #llvm ?

Duncan, I was writing an email to you, but then I noticed that you're baldrick
from IRC, so I figured I might as well just contact you there :)

Cheers,
--lf

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Torvald Riegel
<torvald at se.inf.tu-dresden.de> wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 April 2008, Chris Lattner wrote:
>  >    [llvmir]  "Software Transactional Memory (STM) support in LLVM" by
>  > Luis Felipe Strano
>
>  Hi,
>
>  I'd like to know more about the directions for the STM project.
>
>  Somewhat contrary to what the project's abstract states, there are open C/C++
>  based implementations for compiler support for memory transactions. Besides
>  some efforts to modify GCC (AFAIK the respective groups haven't published
>  source code yet), there is also an open-source tool that is implemented as an
>  LLVM pass (Tanger, see http://tinystm.org/tanger).
>
>  I'm part of a group that does research on transactional memory. We are working
>  on many aspects of (S)TM (STM algorithms and implementations, compiler
>  support, infrastructure, ...) and collaborate with several other research
>  groups. For example, I have worked on STM optimizations based on pointer
>  analysis (see
>  http://wwwse.inf.tu-dresden.de/ABSTRACTS/riegel2008partitioning.html and
>  http://wwwse.inf.tu-dresden.de/ABSTRACTS/riegel2008objbased.html). These
>  optimizations are implemented on top of our LLVM pass (see above) and use
>  DSA.
>
>  Coming back to the compiler support, I would suggest that the project should
>  try to use existing infrastructure (tools, code, ...) as much as possible.
>  Many of the subproblems do have simple solutions, but integrating them can be
>  difficult because there is a lot of interaction, and design choices can often
>  have consequences that are hard to spot unless you have broader knowledge
>  about TM.
>
>  We can also offer support and advice regarding TM and the project's topic if
>  there should be interest in that.
>

>  Torvald

"I am not a number, I am a free man" Number Six