[LLVMdev] Error building llvm-gcc

John Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 16 12:58:25 PDT 2008

Mike Stump wrote:
> On Apr 16, 2008, at 11:47 AM, John Criswell wrote:
>
>> I get the following error building llvm-gcc using gmake (i.e., not
>> building the bootstrap target).  Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
>>

> One common problem is if you are doing incremental builds, you may
> want to try building restrap first and see if that clears the
> problem.  If not...

I did a clean checkout from SVN this morning.

> If anything, you're trying to build a broken compiler...
>
> You can ignore it by disabling the bootstrap (--disable-bootstrap), or
> by fixing the compiler to be other than broken, or by acquiring a non-
> broken compiler.

Thanks for the tip.  I hacked the Makefiles to skip the comparisons, but
this would be much better.
> If you want to try fixing it or hunting it down yourself, you can
> compile rtl.o with the stage 2 and the stage 3 compilers with -save-
> temps and then compare the rtl.s files from each.  The difference
> between them is the problem, generally indicates a codegen bug in the
> compiler, though, sometimes just indicates some random non-determinism
> someone put into the compiler.

I don't have time to trace it down at the moment.  I think, for now,
I'll just hope the bug doesn't affect me and go with what I've got.

Thanks.

-- John T.