[LLVMdev] PATCH: Use size reduction -- wave2

heisenbug ggreif at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 02:50:23 PDT 2008

On Apr 16, 2:13 am, Dan Gohman <goh... at apple.com> wrote:
> Hi Gabor,
>
> Can you provide performance data for this? I'd
> like to know what affect these changes have on
> compile time.

Hi Dan,

Unfortunately, no. I can feed you with some speculation, though,
see below.

The reason why I cannot do measurements (at the moment) is that
- I have no experience with performance measurements of llvm compile
time,
- I have no good test cases that would provide the data interesting
for you,
- I have no machine that can run Release-mode tests
  my PPC mac mini at home runs Tiger --> Xcode 2.4.1 is broken for
Release mode [1]
  I have access to a beefy Mac Pro, but it also miscompiles Release
for the same reason. Also it is an image-processing machine in
production, so I can only run "nice make ..."
  I have access to a Solaris 10 workstation, but I really do not want
to build llvm-gcc on this one. It also keeps my /home on NFS, which
has speed and quota problems.

But: It is very simple to do your measurements yourself (and I'd love
to hear the results!) :

   cd llvm
   svn switch http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/branches/ggreif/use-diet
.
   make

 rebuild llvm-gcc, etc.
 retest.

And now here is my educated speculation:
There are 2 things that became slower
1) Use::getUser()
2) Use::get/set due to tagging.

The former is seldom called:

$ find lib -name "*.cpp" | xargs grep "getUser(" | wc -l
      41

We could audit those to make sure that no unnecessary calls are done.
But the getUse() algorithm is not sooo inefficient, anyway.

The second is counterbalanced with a faster access to the Use object
in most cases:
  With exception of PHINode and SwitchInst, the getOperand() function
(if called on a specialized "this" pointer) does a "this"-relative
access instead of getting OperandList pointer first and going thru
that. This was the case before for fixed-arity instructions, but now
it applies to variadic ones too that cannot perform operand list
resizing.

Some things got faster, like
1) getOperand access on (say) CallInst is now fetching operands from
relative to "this". Also, there is no "new Use[n]" allocations (and
delete []) for these any more.
2) no need to maintain Use::U
3) data-cache related gains on smaller Use objects (not yet activated)

So, my idea is that these changes are performance neutral.

There are potentially more speedups to be realized:
- indexing operands in the decreasing direction eliminates the
getNumOperands() call in getOperand() for variadic arity instructions.
- shaving off (unneeded) operand related administrative members from
User.

I hope that this is interesting, but I'd like to ask anybody who is
comfortable with performance testing to help provide some hard
data :-)

Cheers,

    Gabor

[1] <http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2008-March/