[LLVMdev] standard passes

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Mon Apr 14 13:05:01 PDT 2008

Hi,

> 1. Does -std-compile-opts of opt do the same optimization with llvm-gcc
> with -O[1-3] options?

almost but not quite.  Firstly, llvm-gcc won't schedule all passes
unless the optimization level is high enough.  It won't unroll loops
unless given -funroll-loops etc.

That said, there are a few curious differences between llvm-gcc and
opt.  I'm not sure if they are intentional or a mistake:

- llvm-gcc schedules the SimplifyLibCalls pass near the beginning,
opt near the end.

- opt schedules DeadTypeElimination followed by ConstantMerge; while
llvm-gcc schedules ConstantMerge followed by StripDeadPrototypes.
So opt doesn't run StripDeadPrototypes while llvm-gcc
doesn't run DeadTypeElimination.

- opt schedules LowerSetJmp while llvm-gcc does not.

Finally, llvm-gcc runs the following passes on each function
immediately after it is created:

CFGSimplification, PromoteMemoryToRegister,
ScalarReplAggregates, InstructionCombining.

These sometimes mean you get better code from llvm-gcc than
from opt.

> If I want to debug into passes through llvm-gcc,
> how do I set a breakpoint right before pass execution? In my gdb
> llvm-gcc session, I don't have llvm::PassManager available.

Break on a line number in the appropriate file.

> 2. When I use "-p" with opt, there is nothing I can see from the
> output. Instead, "--debug-pass=Details" gives me more detailed info. Did
> I miss other stuffs that are required to be with "-p?"

I never managed to get -p to work.  With opt I use -debug-pass=Arguments
and with llvm-gcc -fdebug-pass-arguments

Ciao,

Duncan.