[LLVMdev] llvm-as parse error

Arto Vuori avuori at cs.helsinki.fi
Mon Apr 14 11:16:59 PDT 2008

On Apr 14, 2008, at 4:35 PM, code_nf wrote:
> Hi:
> I have just started to use llvm and confronted with a problem:
> when I want to transform something very simple for name.ll to
> name.bc with llvm-as name.ll, some errors occured:
>
> error: parse error, expecting `GLOBAL' or `CONSTANT' while reading
> token: 'target'

Hi. I am having exactly the same problem. Currently I suspect that
the reason lies within my Bison version, that is 2.3, and maybe
within my Flex version, that is 2.5.34. These are the current Bison/
Flex versions from the Ubuntu hardy universe.

The rationale to my suspicion derives from the following messages
that emerge during compilation of llvm 2.2 (gcc 4.2.3):

llvm[2]: Compiling llvmAsmParser.cpp for Release build
/usr/share/bison.simple: In function ‘int llvmAsmparse()’:
/usr/share/bison.simple:614: warning: comparison between signed and
unsigned integer expressions
/usr/share/bison.simple:626: warning: comparison between signed and
unsigned integer expressions

llvm[2]: Flexing UpgradeLexer.l
/usr/local/src/llvm-2.2/tools/llvm-upgrade/UpgradeLexer.l:405:
warning, rule cannot be matched
llvm[2]: Bisoning UpgradeParser.y
/usr/local/src/llvm-2.2/tools/llvm-upgrade/UpgradeParser.y:
conflicts: 8 shift/reduce, 7 reduce/reduce

I'm going to install older versions (those "officially" supported) of
the tools and try again.
--
Arto Vuori
avuori at cs.helsinki.fi