[LLVMdev] Proposal for improving the llvm nightly tester

Rajika Kumarasiri rajikacc at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 21:22:51 PDT 2008

hi all,
After having some discussions in the IRC, I am trying here to come up with a
proposal for GSoC 2008 for improving the llvm nightly tester[1].Following
are the ideas and suggestions that came up in the discussion, if you have
any comment  or any other suggestion please add them to the list. I have
some doubts in some places.

1.  Improvements to the perl script which manage actual testing
(./util/NewNightlyTest.pl)
     (a).  compiling llvm-gcc
     (b).  allowing someone to use an existing tree versus checking out a
new one

2.  The improvements to the email that get sent to the llvm-testresults
      (a). finding a point in time where some test failed
      (b). comparing two different sets of test results that aren't just 2
days apart
  here if you have any suggestions which help someone analysis test results
would be grateful.

3. Running llvm testsuite for all targets, target variants and operating
systems(using an simulator for hardware which is not available) ex:gcc
project's compile farm [2]

4. Running Fortran,  Ada, C/C++/ObjC tests as well with test results emailed
to the llvm-testresults.

Most of the server side and the database design has already done by
"tonic"(IRC nickname at #llvm), so suggestions regarding others would be
important, so that we have a fully featured nightly tester .And finally all
the php scripts need to be updated according to the required new features.
Thanks in advance. Please add your comments.!
Regards,
-Rajika

[1] - http://llvm.org/nightlytest/
[2] - http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CompileFarm