[LLVMdev] Reference Manual Clarifications

Jon Sargeant delta17 at cox.net
Tue Apr 1 12:33:09 PDT 2008

Chris Lattner wrote:
> On Mar 31, 2008, at 5:07 PM, Jon Sargeant wrote:
>
>> Gordon Henriksen wrote:
>>> Hi Jon,
>>> Please you'll want to submit patches as unified diffs and as
>>> attachments.
>>> I notice you're using Thunderbird, so I refer you to this tip:
>>> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2008-January/011992.html
>>> Although this note doesn't apply to how you included your original
>>> patch (looks like you pasted it in), Thunderbird has default
>>> attachment handling settings which cause problems for many of our
>>> reviewers.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Gordon
>> Ok, did I get it right this time?
>
> Looks ok, I applied it here:
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20080331/060531.html
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20080331/060532.html
>
> I removed the "negative or equal" aspect to the shift amount
> discussion.  Shift amounts are interpreted as unsigned values, so they
> can't be negative.

Ah, I didn't see that in the documentation.  I suggest adding "Shift
amounts are interpreted as unsigned values" to each shift instruction.

> Also, it looks like your copy of langref is slightly out of date,
> because the patch didn't apply cleanly.

Hmm, I copied LangRef.html from http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html.  The
version I'm using was last modified 2008-03-24 15:52:42 -0500 (Mon, 24
Mar 2008).  Perhaps there was a newer version on SVN?  In any case, I'll
use the latest version from SVN for future patches.

Best Regards,
Jon