[LLVMdev] noinline

Nikhil A. Patil patil.nikhil at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 22:21:03 PDT 2007

Hi,

I was interested in telling the compiler not to inline a given function, and
discovered that the __attribute__((noinline)) implements this using a global
variable @llvm.noinline. It did not work for me initially. I noticed that @
llvm.noinline was being internalized by -internalize, dead-code-eliminated
by -constmerge, causing this information not to reach the -inline pass.

I am not sure if this is a bug, or I am just using the passes in some wrong
way. Initially I thought, maybe I was being a clown by doing "opt
-internalize -constmerge -inline" in that order, but then I discovered that
even llvm-ld does that, so decided to just ask on the group. :)

Thanks,
nikhil