[LLVMdev] Building with Microsoft Visual Studio

Richard Smith richard.smith at antixlabs.com
Thu Sep 20 14:25:20 PDT 2007

Unfortunately, I believe the issue is not that Cygwin contains GPL code, it
is that applications which it compiles do. This is explicitly stated at
http://cygwin.com/licensing.html:

"The Cygwin API library found in the winsup subdirectory of the source code
is also covered by the GNU GPL (with exceptions; see below). By default, all
executables link against this library (and in the process include GPL'd
Cygwin glue code). This means that unless you modify the tools so that
compiled executables do not make use of the Cygwin library, your compiled
programs will also have to be free software distributed under the GPL with
source code available to all."

The exceptions mentioned are for applications which are themselves Open
Source. But, by their definition, I do not believe LLVM is considered Open
Source, because it allows someone to modify it and distribute the binaries
without the modified sources.

--
Regards,
Richard