[LLVMdev] malloc() vs. MallocInst

Torvald Riegel torvald at se.inf.tu-dresden.de
Sat Oct 27 09:10:33 PDT 2007

Hi,

I recently looked quite some time for why poolalloc wouldn't transform calls
to malloc() in my program, until I noticed that it handles calls to malloc()
(eg, stdlib pass) -- but only transforms MallocInst's.

Is there a general policy on how passes should behave? Should they handle both
representations, is doing -raiseallocs the preferred way, or do we
explicitely not want any single policy (ie, are there any hidden problems)?
Perhaps this could also get a FAQ entry or sth. like that.

Torvald