[LLVMdev] OT: new here, dynamic/runtime compilation (in general)

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Sun Oct 21 19:28:58 PDT 2007

On Oct 21, 2007, at 6:23 PM, BGB wrote:

> ok, just in my case, I guess I am a little fussy/weird, wanting
> efficient dot and cross products  (if at all possible, though these
> operations at present don't exist natively within SSE...), among
> many other operations (length, lerp, renormalization, ..).
>
> then again, probably a fairly smart compiler could still get plenty
> good results out of inline functions and intrinsics or something
> (as it so happens, my compiler is not so smart here, so I made
> these features builtin, and fell back to functions for more
> involved operations, such as quaternion slerp, ...).

llvm-gcc and clang both fully support GCC style generic vectors and
altivec/sse intrinsics.  In addition, clang supports "glsl" style
vector permutations, direct vector element access, etc.  The LLVM
optimizer and code generator supports many vector operations
independent of the front-end syntax, as well as highly optimized code
generation for Altivec and SSE.

-Chris