[LLVMdev] Fibonacci example in OCaml

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed Nov 28 12:07:15 PST 2007

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Concern about software patents is a shame.  Do those behind LLVM support
> the patent holders in this case, or are they just concerned about being
> hassled over infringement.  If the latter, could an approach be made to
> one of the anti-software patent organisations to see if prior art can be
> found, or else look at moving the software outside of the scope of the
> applicable patent law?

The patents in question are based on unification points-to analysis held
by Microsoft.  Working around them is easy, just don't use those
techniques.  Unfortunately, DSA is designed and built around them, so it
can't be "simply modified" to not use them.

Also, as far as software patents go, they are fairly reasonable.  I don't
think there was any prior art in that area.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.org/