[LLVMdev] OCaml and Exceptions

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Sun Nov 25 14:23:08 PST 2007

On Sunday 25 November 2007 22:16, Eric Christopher wrote:
> That said, I don't know much about OCaml and so don't know if this
> philosophy fits the standard OCaml programming style. If throw/catch/etc are
> meant to be normal path of execution then a small cost up front in, for
> example, try blocks could easily speed up execution later when you hit the
> throw.

Exceptions are often raised and caught in OCaml programs so an optimizing
OCaml compiler would be expected to provide very fast throwing and catching
of exceptions.

However, optimizing them now when we already have an easy to use exception
mechanism would be premature: I'd like to get something useful up and running
first and leave these kinds of optimizations.