[LLVMdev] OCaml bindings

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Sun Nov 25 13:04:17 PST 2007

On Sunday 25 November 2007 20:01, Gordon Henriksen wrote:
> On Nov 25, 2007, at 11:49, Jon Harrop wrote:
> > On Sunday 25 November 2007 12:23, Gordon Henriksen wrote:
> >> If ocamlc is on your path, then 'configure; make; make install'
> >> should install the bindings in your ocaml lib.
> >
> > Right. I hadn't noticed they were already installed after llvm "make
> > install" in:
> >
> >  /usr/local/lib/ocaml/
>
> Right. They're installed in 'if $stdlib is beneath $prefix then
> $stdlib else $prefix/lib/ocaml'. :) You can force the matter with
>
>      ./configure --with-ocaml-libdir=`ocamlc -where`

For some reason my /etc/ocamlfind.conf was wrong so that didn't do what I
would have expected.

> > I had to tweak your example to get it to compile. Some of the
> > function names and signatures have changed (I'm using CVS LLVM) so
> > I've updated them and just thrown away the booleans you were passing
> > (no idea what they were for but it works ;-).
>
> Ah, right; I'd forgotten about those changes or I would've updated it
> for you. The booleans in particular were used for null-terminating
> strings and creating varargs function types, among others, but weren't
>
> self-documenting, so I introduced variant names instead. For instance:
> > Also, I think const_string maybe should null terminate the given
> > string so I changed your example to pass it a null terminated string
> > instead (nasty hack).
>
> const_stringz null-terminates the string. But adding \000 in the
> literal as you did is equivalent.

Great.

> > My code is:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > To use it I just do:
> >
> > $ ocamlopt -dtypes -cc g++ -I /usr/local/lib/ocaml/ llvm.cmxa
> > llvm_bitwriter.cmxa hellow.ml -o hellow
> > $ ./hellow run.bc
> >
> > How do I compile straight to native code without going via C?
>
> -march=c invokes a very unusual LLVM target which emits C code instead
>
> of assembly. Read http://llvm.org/cmds/llc.html and llc --help. Here:
> > $ llc -f -march=c run.bc -o run.c
>
> Simply run 'llc run.bc -o run.s' to generate native assembly code.
>  From there, you can use 'as' and 'ld' to assemble and link.
>
> In my example, I had used the gcc driver to succinctly invoke 'as' and
> 'ld' in the proper platform-specific manner, including linking with
> the C standard library (for printf). Since the input was already
> compiled to assembly code, 'gcc' did not invoke the C compiler.

I've done the same now: works like a treat!

> > Can we use pipes to avoid generating intermediate files?
>
> For the llvm tools, yes. For instance:
>
>      # optimize bitcode and disassemble to LLVM assembly
>      opt -std-compile-opts < run.bc | llvm-dis
>
>      # optimize bitcode, compile to native assembly, and assemble to
> native object
>      opt -std-compile-opts < run.bc | llc | as -o run.o
>
> However, writing the bitcode presently requires a temp file. This is a
> problem with the libraries at both ends:
>
>   1. Standard C++ doesn't provide file-descriptor streams at all.
> (LLVM uses C++ iostreams.)
>   2. Ocaml doesn't allow extracting the file descriptor from an
> Output_channel.
>
> There are a variety of workarounds available for the bindings, but I
> have not yet pursued them. The simplest is a "write_bitcode_to_stdout"
> function which uses the std::cout stream internally.

Right. That would probably do the trick. Anyone wanting JIT functionality from
OCaml will presumably want that.

> >> I think a translation of the tutorial would be most welcome and
> >> about 10x shorter. ;-)
> >
> > Shall we port the tutorial to OCaml?
>
> By all means! I think you'd also stumble across some areas that are
> not bound yet, such as building pipelines to run optimizations in-
> process. I'd be happy to fill in any gaps you find. It would be a very
> useful exercise in that it would generate that feedback, improving
> both the C and Ocaml bindings.

Brilliant. I'll keep hacking away at this then. I'm just working on an OCaml
port of the (hard-coded) Fibonacci example. Then I'll try compiling
expression trees on the OCaml side and we can start doing more interesting
things.

> You'll find that the LLVM community openly welcomes not only users and
> their contributions, so please jump in and get your hands dirty. The
> #llvm IRC channel on irc.oftc.net is also a great resource.

Awesome. I'm not a big user of IRC but I'll check it out.

Many thanks,