[LLVMdev] newbie question (link error)

Ben Morse snowyote at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 21:55:46 PST 2007

Hey folks, sorry for the incredibly basic question but I'm stuck in
the tutorial with link errors.  I'm getting them both on cygwin (gcc
3.4.4) and linux (gcc 4.1.3).

If I enter the tutorial pretty much verbatim, it compiles fine, but I
get tons of link errors if I attempt to link with arguments provided
by running llvm-config with 'core'.  If I run llvm-config with 'all'
it narrows down to one:

g++ `/home/ben/bin/llvm-config --cppflags --ldflags --libs all` -o play play.cpp
/tmp/ccyhgPtB.o: In function `main':
play.cpp:(.text+0x458): undefined reference to
`llvm::verifyModule(llvm::Module const&, llvm::VerifierFailureAction,
std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char>
>*)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [play] Error 1

I'm not sure what else I can do beyond 'all', though.

I've built LLVM from the RELEASE_21 tag, with object root separate
from source root, using '../llvm/configure --prefix=/home/ben; make
-j2; make install'.  I didn't see any errors during the build.  Am I
missing something incredibly obvious here?

Thanks!

Ben Morse