[LLVMdev] LLVM 2.1 (or later) and Ubuntu Gutsy

Gonsolo gonsolo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 15:39:29 PST 2007

Am Samstag, den 24.11.2007, 00:32 +0200 schrieb Török Edwin:
> Antony Blakey wrote:
> > On 24/11/2007, at 12:01 AM, Michael T. Richter wrote:
> >

> >> Does anybody have a working version of LLVM 2.1+ (ideally in a .deb
> >> file) that they're willing to share?  I'm having some weird problems
> >> trying to get a working version on my 7.10 machine.
> >>

> > Or even better, does anyone have a recipe for building on Gutsy?

Well, _theoretically_ it should be as simple as this (assumed you have
apt, wget, devscripts installed):

apt-get source llvm
mkdir llvm-2.1
cd llvm-2.1
wget http://llvm.org/releases/2.1/llvm-2.1.tar.gz
wget http://llvm.org/releases/2.1/llvm-test-2.1.tar.gz
wget http://llvm.org/releases/2.1/llvm-gcc4.0-2.1.source.tar.gz
cd ..
tar cvzf llvm_2.1.orig.tar.gz llvm-2.1/
rm -rf llvm-2.1/
cd llvm-1.8b/
uupdate -u ../llvm_2.1.orig.tar.gz
cd ../llvm-2.1
debuild

Voila, new .deb in ..!

But...

1. It doesn't work because you have to adjust some build scripts! :(
2. If you try to adjust those scripts you will look like Brad Pitt in 12
Monkeys! :(
3. Having llvm, test and gcc in one package is ugly.
4. Splitting into separate packages is more work than typing 13 shell
commands :((

So...

... if somebody wants to try I would be glad to help/test.

PS.: Yes, I tried, and I failed.

PPS.: Yes, I tried to contact the Debian maintainer, but he's busy.

PPS.: Nice to see that Google Summer of Code was invented by Terry
Gilliam ( http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=js3TnKpFHhA, at 00:41 )