[LLVMdev] Live Range Splitting

Evan Cheng evan.cheng at apple.com
Thu Nov 15 11:11:15 PST 2007

On Nov 15, 2007, at 10:10 AM, David Greene wrote:

> I saw in one of Evan's recent commits the comment that live range
> splitting is
> "coming soon."
>
> Evan, can you describe a bit what you're planning?  Is it going to
> be an
> independent pass or integrated with the register allocator?  What,
> if any,
> publications are you basing it on?

I am taking baby steps. :-) The first step is to split a live
intervals at basic block boundaries so it's being spilled. One of the
common issue that we are seeing is multiple reloads of a spilled value
when it is being used multiple times. This often happens even when
it's clear scratch registers are available in the basic block.

It's based on crazy thoughts in my head, not any paper. :-)

Evan