[LLVMdev] Register allocation balancing issues

Fernando Magno Quintao Pereira fernando at CS.UCLA.EDU
Fri Nov 9 09:44:09 PST 2007

> Another take (and quite not a longshot although probably Fernando -- thanks for
> the debugger, will try it -- has worked either alone or with NVK on the ILP
> formulation) is to write-up constraints for an ILP (integer linear programming)
> solution. I wouldn't mind to wait forever (for several minutes that is ^_^) for
> a valid register allocation to complete. My application programs range between
> 50 (the smallest) to about 2K instructions. Basic blocks would be anything from
> a few instructions to a few hundreds of instructions.

Hi, actually, I have not done anything towards ILP for register
allocation, but two of my friends have. Actually, there is a
branch-and-bound solver for LLVM that produces very nice results. It was
coded by Lang Hames, and I am using it in some tests. If you need the
algorithm, I guess Lang can give it to you.

best,

Fernando