[LLVMdev] allocating registers less "sparingly"

Pekka Jääskeläinen pekka.jaaskelainen at tut.fi
Mon Nov 5 21:54:45 PST 2007

Evan Cheng wrote:
> What you want is to remove anti-dependency before post-allocation
> scheduling. Alas, there is nothing in current LLVM implementation
> that deals with this. There are quite a few papers on this topic,
> e.g. http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/calland97removal.html

Thank you for the pointer, I'll take a look when I have the time again.

I was kind of hoping we could have avoided the unnecessary anti-deps
the first place, for example, by means of a more sane distribution of
registers in the register allocator, but I guess this kind of pass
that removes them after allocation would be fine too.

> I am also very interested in this. Do you plan to contribute your
> work back to the community? :-)

I certainly hope we could produce something we can contribute, I
cannot give any promises at this point though :)

--
--PJ