[LLVMdev] performance of LLVM?

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Sun Nov 4 11:36:41 PST 2007

On Nov 3, 2007, at 8:04 AM, Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:

> In other words, are there some successful code "generators" (ie high
> level compilers for either functional or logical languages) which
> actually did switch from generating C code and compiling it (with GCC)
> to generating LLVM assembly and compiling it (with LLVM)? What are the
> concrete improvements (in compilation time by LLVM or GCC, and in code
> generation time) they observed?

I'm not sure.  I don't know of any that have switched to llvm.

> Are there today some opensource programs which generate big LLVM
> assembly files?

The Mesa OpenGL stack is apparently switching to use LLVM.  Also, llvm-
gcc is opensource and produces large assembly files for large programs.

It's hard to know exactly what you're asking for here... I suspect it
comes down to having to benchmark the specific thing you're interested
in to find out for sure.

-Chris