[LLVMdev] Question about the new version of LLVM GCC

Ben Chambers bjchambers at gmail.com
Sun May 20 19:28:31 PDT 2007

I noticed the following line in the output of LLVM GCC and was
wondering what it meant:
   "alloca point" = bitcast i32 0 to i32   ; <i32> [#uses=0]
I wasn't aware that a string was a valid left hand side, but
considering the fact that the instruction is basically pointless
(doesn't do anything, and is never used), I'm guessing that it instead
serves to mark the end of the allocas for that function.  Is this
correct?  If not, what does the instruction mean/do?

Thanks,
Ben Chambers