[LLVMdev] llvm 2.0 release announcement [draft]

Jeff Cohen jeffc at jolt-lang.org
Mon May 14 07:34:29 PDT 2007

Chris Lattner wrote:
>   x. Roman Samoilov contributed a new MSIL backend to LLVM.  llc -
> march=msil will now turn LLVM into MSIL (".net") bytecode.  This is
> still fairly early development with a number of limitations.

This ought not be advertised to the world.  It is not useful for any
purpose.  Not only can it not do virtual method calls, as I previously
pointed out, it can't even instantiate objects!  And there is a good
reason why the implementation cannot do so:  it is extremely difficult
to recover high-level MSIL semantics from low-level LLVM IR.  I am not
convinced it is even possible.  It's as hard as reconstructing a C++
class declaration from LLVM IR.

>   x. Evan added support for the X86-64 large code model to the JIT,
> which is useful if JIT'd function bodies are more than 2G away from
> library functions.

Not true.  See PR1299, which still hasn't been fixed.