[LLVMdev] Compiling glibc on Linux

Bill isanbard at gmail.com
Wed May 9 13:49:46 PDT 2007

On 5/9/07, Babak Salamat <bsalamat at uci.edu> wrote:
> I am convinced to use llvm-gcc. As I mentioned in my previous email,
> I have changed native code generation in llc to generate code with a
> different stack organization. In order to have working binaries, the
> libraries must be compiled with the new tool and have the same stack
> organization. Now that I cannot use llc, it seems that I have to
> modify llvm-gcc to have it generate code with the stack organization
> that I want.
>
> For X86 target I have particularly changed
> X86RegisterInfo::eliminateFrameIndex, X86RegisterInfo::emitPrologue
> and X86RegisterInfo::emitEpilogue in the llc source code.
>
> Can I find equivalent functions in the llvm-gcc source, so that I can
> implement the needed stack organization?

Hi Babak,

Perhaps I don't understand you situation exactly, however llvm-gcc
uses the same libraries the llc uses. Loosely speaking, the "gcc" part
of llvm-gcc generates LLVM bytecode and sent to the LLVM libraries.
>From there, it performs the optimizations and outputs code, etc. All
that llc does differently is it reads the bytecode directly. It then
sends it through the optimizers, etc.

Therefore, your changes to X86RegisterInfo is shared with all tools.

-bw