[LLVMdev] Problems with 'make check'

Reid Spencer rspencer at reidspencer.com
Wed May 9 12:50:07 PDT 2007

Ralph,

On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 11:30 +0100, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi Reid,
>
> > Please note that the path is (purposefully) not used to locate test
> > executables. Many of us have many LLVM environments and using the path
> > leads to confusion.  What the makefile is looking for is the LLVMGCC
> > variable to be set. It wasn't so when substituted you get a null
> > string which leads to attempting to execute "-emit-llvm" (the first
> > argument after the null program name).  You can resolve this by using
> > the --with-llvmgccdir option when configuring llvm.
>
> Might the makefile have an early target that does the shell
>
>     if test x$LLVMGCC = x; then echo error message >&2; exit 1; fi
>
> in order to trap this common problem.

When you configure llvm without llvm-gcc, you get a nice big warning
message about it. I'm not sure anything more is needed. The approach you
suggested will print out on every build, which is not so desirable. What
could be done is add this to the "make check" target so that if LLVMGCC
is not set, you get a big warning.

However, I think the correct thing is to avoid any attempt at running
the C/C++/Ada/ObjC tests if llvm-gcc is not present. This can be done
simply by editing the dg.exp files in each of those directories.

Reid.