[LLVMdev] which g++ to compile LLVM CVS on Linux/AMD64?

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Thu May 3 09:36:22 PDT 2007

On Thu, 3 May 2007, Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:

> What version of g++ is usable to compile the latest LLVM CVS snapshot on a
> Linux/x86-64 (AMD64) Debian/ Sid or Etch plateform?

Please look here:
http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#brokengcc

I'd suggest late versions of GCC 4.0.x.  The 4.1 series has had numerous
problems compiling LLVM on x86-64, though some people have had success
with some vendor versions.

> FWIW, the latest gcc snapshot from yesterday gcc version 4.3.0 20070501
> (experimental) fail to compile latest LLVM (with compile errors!).

Please file an llvm bug report with these errors.  It may be that we are
doing something illegal in C++  that is only now getting caught.  If the
source is valid and G++ is incorrectly complaining, please file a bug
against GCC.

> Is LLVM bootstraped thru g++-llvm?

Yes, it can be, and it works.

-Chris