[LLVMdev] Third party integration

Devang Patel dpatel at apple.com
Wed Mar 28 14:15:16 PDT 2007

On Mar 28, 2007, at 2:06 PM, Kyle Lahnakoski wrote:

> I have only just begun looking through the docs for LLVM.  I have read
> through some of the PP presentations to get an idea of the
> modularity of
> LLVM.
>
> May someone be so kind to point me to some documentation on how to
> communicate with the LLVM modules (specifically the optimizer) from
> some
> third party piece of software (my compiler)?
>
> I am hoping there is a file format, or some serialization, that LLVM
> modules can read and write.  I am looking at the v1.9 tar file: are
> the
> *.ll files this serialization?  If so, then I guess I am looking for a
> doc with a high level grammar specification.

.ll files are human readable LLVM intermediate code. Modules operate
(see 'opt' tool) on byte codes which use .bc as file extension.

See,

	http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html
	http://llvm.org/docs/BytecodeFormat.html

llvm-gcc is a GCC based front-end that produces LLVM IR.

	http://llvm.org/docs/CommandGuide/html/llvmgcc.html
	http://llvm.org/docs/CommandGuide/html/opt.html

http://llvm.org/docs/ has lots of useful documents to get started.

-