[LLVMdev] x86 in win32 folder

Reid Spencer rspencer at reidspencer.com
Wed Mar 28 10:45:53 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 10:22 -0500, Christopher Lamb wrote:
> I don't want to drive this too off topic, but I should be clear that I
> wasn't suggesting that the LLVM project adopt XPJ as it's official
> config file format for Visual Studio. I have found it useful to use
> XPJ to generate the initial VS projects for a code base that doesn't
> already have VS projects. I also find it nice to be able to see all of
> the config options in a flat, human readable file rather than a GUI,
> but this is certainly personal preference.

We are more likely to adopt scons (via HLVM integration) than XPJ. Scons
provides a common build specification for all platforms (Win32, Unix,
MacOS, mainframe) and can also generate the Visual Studio files as
necessary. This would completely automate the process. As Unix
developers modify the Scons build scripts, the win32 directory could be
regenerated automatically and always kept current with the latest files,
etc.  Hopefully this means Jeff never has to manually hack the VS files
again (although it won't relieve him of fixing the portability issues in
the code :) )

Don't hold your breath, getting scons working for LLVM is probably at
least a month off before it can reach "experimental" stage. I'm hoping I
can get it into the 2.0 release so people can try it (before we cut
over). I.e. the "make" and "scons" systems will co-exist for some time
period.

Reid.