[LLVMdev] llvm installation failure

Ryan M. Lefever lefever at crhc.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 26 12:00:25 PDT 2007

I am trying to make and install a version of llvm that I check out of
cvs last night.  When I configured LLVM, I set the prefix to a directory
inside my home directory.  However, when I did a make install I got the
following errors:

llvm[3]: Installing Debug Bytecode Archive /lib/libc.a
/usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file `/lib/libc.a': Permission
denied
make[3]: *** [/lib/libc.a] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/performA/users/lefever/testbed-work/llvm-cvs-070325/runtime/GCCLibraries/libc'
make[2]: *** [libc/.makeinstall] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/performA/users/lefever/testbed-work/llvm-cvs-070325/runtime/GCCLibraries'
make[1]: *** [GCCLibraries/.makeinstall] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/performA/users/lefever/testbed-work/llvm-cvs-070325/runtime'
make: *** [install] Error 1

It appears to be that lvm is trying to install something into /lib which
is not the prefix that I set. Does anyone know the problem?  Is there
something wrong with one of the makefiles?

Thanks,
Ryan