[LLVMdev] Updated GSoC Proposal

Tilmann Scheller schellrt at studi.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Sun Mar 25 06:51:38 PDT 2007

Thank you very much for the feedback, I tried to address the brought up
issues in this updated proposal. In case you have any suggestions or
comments feel free to tell me.

Thanks in Advance

Tilmann

* Proposal for Google Summer of Code Project

** Using LLVM as a backend for QEMU's dynamic binary translation

*** Terms:
- host   architecture: the architecture of the CPU QEMU is running on
- target architecture: the architecture of the program which is being
executed within QEMU

*** Abstract:
The goal of this project is to modify the QEMU dynamic binary translator
to use components of the LLVM compiler infrastructure to turn it into a
highly optimizing dynamic binary translator in order to increase the
performance of QEMU even further. Instead of directly emitting code for
the host architecture QEMU is running on, the target code is first
translated to LLVM IR, then a selection of LLVM's optimization functions
is applied to the IR and as a last step the LLVM JIT is used to generate
code from the optimized IR for the host architecture. Since the
translation to LLVM IR, the optimization and the code generation comes
at a cost of an increased execution time, it's not feasible to apply
this process to any piece of code, else the execution time would be even
lower. Especially since on average a program spends 90% of its time
within 10% of the code it is critical to get these 10% to execute fast,
for the other 90% of the code parts might only execute once or only a
few times and the extra time spent to generate the optimized code would
not pay off. Therefore the idea is to identify the "hotspots" by
counting how many times a piece of code has been executed, e.g. on basic
block level, and performing an optimizing translation once a certain
threshold is hit or falling back to the current binary translation of
QEMU if not.
Detailed speed measurements will be performed in order to evaluate the
efficiency of this approach, especially in comparison to the approach
currently used by QEMU.

*** Benefits:
QEMU will largely benefit from this project through an expected increase
in speed, while remaining portable.
Through this project LLVM will effectively get front ends for all target
architectures supported by QEMU (at the moment these are x86, ARM,
SPARC, PowerPC and MIPS). This lays the ground for the application of
LLVM on binary code which could be e.g. the optimization of binaries
where no source code is available, the instrumentation of binary code
(e.g. for performance analysis), program analysis of binary code to
assist in reverse engineering or static recompilation (depending on the
instruction set this requires additional runtime code).
This project is a first step to enhance LLVM to be suitable for static
or dynamic binary translation and thereby attracting new users for LLVM
which are interested in this subject.
It will show the applicability of LLVM in an emulation environment,
especially in regard to dynamic binary translation. It can also be used
as a basis to try out concepts like profile-guided optimization or
static optimization in the context of an emulator.
Also since the LLVM JIT will be used for the final code generation QEMU
can be hosted on any architecture targeted by the LLVM JIT (at the
moment this are x86, x86-64, PowerPC and PowerPC 64), at least
concerning code generation. Further adjustments to QEMU might be
necessary though to get QEMU to run on a certain architecture which is
supported by the LLVM JIT but not by QEMU.

*** Deliverables:
- a version of QEMU with an optimizing dynamic binary translator
utilizing LLVM components
- a set of test suites which are created during the development (with at
least 80% statement coverage)
- all necessary documentation to understand and be able to maintain the
software

*** Plan:
The development of the software will be done within the three month
timeframe of GSoC. Weekly status reports will be given.

Week 1:
      - get familiar with LLVM and QEMU
      - write small test programs for certain LLVM components, or even a
simple prototype
      - get to know LLVM example programs
Week 2, 3, 4:
      - modify QEMU's dynamic binary translator to emit LLVM IR
      - create tests to verify the translation
Week 5, 6:
      - integrate LLVM JIT into QEMU's dynamic binary translator
      - perform first speed measurements
Week 7, 8:
      - integrate LLVM optimizations into QEMU
      - perform more speed measurements, select useful optimizations
Week 9, 10:
      - test the system extensively
      - write final documentation
Week 11, 12:
      - time buffer to deal with unexpected events

*** Qualification:
I'm a graduate student studying Software Engineering at the University
of Stuttgart in Germany. I have a strong interest in compiler technology
and see this project as a great opportunity to gain experience in this
field. I have taken a compiler building class and plan to focus my
future studies in this area.
Emulation is another area i'm interested in. I wrote a Game Boy Advance
emulator in C from scratch and a GP32 emulator based on QEMU (also C).
While doing this I gained a basic understanding of the QEMU codebase.
I'm currently involved in a university project which develops a testing
tool for glass box tests for Java and COBOL, which allows to gather
certain coverage metrics, and which will be opensourced later this year.
I have decent experience with C and Java and i'm familiar with C++. Also
I have a deep understanding of the ARM architecture and I'm familiar
with x86.
This project is a big chance for me to give something back to the open
source community, especially since both LLVM and QEMU can profit from
this project.