[LLVMdev] MSIL backend

Anton Korobeynikov asl at math.spbu.ru
Wed Mar 21 16:30:51 PDT 2007

Hello, Everyone.

We've just commited new backend for LLVM: MSIL. The author of backend is
Roman Samoilov from Codedgers Inc. (roman at codedgers.com). Backend itself
is very similar to C backend (and actually was based on it). Note, it's
pure LLVM-to-MSIL translator, so no additional checks etc. are
performed.

Backend is usable in general, but still lacks some important features:

1. There is no way to tell "import this function from that DLL file" to
backend. Even more, there are no any equivalent of import libraries for
MSIL code. So, in the future backend will include some "linking" pass,
which will resolve external DLL references. Probably, we'll use nice set
of .def files from public domain w32-api package (from Mingw32 folks).

2. Variable argument functions are unsupported now.

3. There is no support for dllimported variables (e.g. stdin, stdout,
stderr symbols in MS runtime).

4. Also, backend completely lacks any testsuite.

There are some small glitches here and there, but they are not so
important as indicated ones.

All indicated problems will be fixed in the nearest future. Any
feedback, comments, questions are surely welcome.

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov.

Faculty of Mathematics & Mechanics, Saint Petersburg State University.