[LLVMdev] A few inline assembly questions

Zack Rusin zrusin at trolltech.com
Tue Mar 20 09:08:28 PDT 2007

On Monday 19 March 2007 06:44, Bill Wendling wrote:
> > As Anton mentioned, work is actively underway to add MMX intrinsic
> > support.  Right now we have very basic support for a few simple
> > operations
> > like add and multiply.  Bill Wendling is the one working on this, I
> > forwarded your testcase to him so that he can focus on those
> > operations
> > first.
>
> Got 'em. :-) I think my schedule's slightly more open this week, so I
> should be able to add the missing operators easily.

Ah, that would be wonderful :)

> Also, if you could do some performance comparisons between GCC and
> LLVM, it would be a good measurement of how we're doing. From the few
> instructions I've added, we tend to generate better code. :-)

I'll definitely do that :)
I'm planning to run some of the other benchmarks we have here but I'm afraid I
won't get to it until Friday. We have a few text decoding/manipulation
benchmarks where GCC is generating suboptimal code (Visual C++ on identical
machine manged to outperform it by almost two-fold) so I'm eager to see how
LLVM stacks up. As soon as I have some results I'll post them here.

Zack