[LLVMdev] Google SOC - Idea

Kenneth Hoste kenneth.hoste at ugent.be
Tue Mar 20 01:16:36 PDT 2007

On 20 Mar 2007, at 01:53, Scott Fortmann-Roe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here is a rough draft of the application -- a FORTRAN front-end to
> LLVM. In accordance with the summer of code specifications it is split
> into two portions: the abstract which describes the project, and the
> details description which describes me and how I plan to complete the
> project.
>
> It's a little long, (but about half the max length the application
> directions specify). Would someone be willing to read it in full
> (Chris?, Kenneth?) and see if the project as specified would really be
> useful to LLVM and something you guys would support?

Some (quite a few actually, some more important than others) remarks:

"that parsers the language and converts it"
=> "that PARSES the language and converts it"

"The next component of LLVM"
=> "The second component of LLVM"

"To claim FORTRAN is mature ... is involved."
=> mention SPEC CPU2000 and CPU2006 here as important examples of
widely-used Fortran benchmarks for both the research community and
industry

"My story is the standard "taught himself to program at twelve, no
time for stuffy computer science courses" narrative."
=> as  Scott McMurray pointed out, don't use words like "spuffy",
makes you sound like a script kiddie... Something like "My
programming experience is self-taught, without major computer science
courses."

"Examples of this work are an anti-censorship,
in-browser web-browser (it's ridiculous, I know, but darn useful)
[http://palary.com] and Longhand a calculator program for OS X
[http://longhand.palary.com]."
=> references are good, but I don't think there's a worse way of
selling them... Better: "Examples of this work are anti-censorship,
an in-browser web-browser (which may sound superfluous, but is quite
usefull; see http://palary.com), and a calculator program for OS X
(Longhand, see http://longhand.palary.com)".

"I  have since wiggled my way
around the pre-requisites and enrolled in an upper-level compiler
course here at Swarthmore"
=> don't use wiggled (but since I'm not native English, I can't
anything suitable at this time)

"LLVM is, of course, a complex tool and
I wish to gain much more familiarity with it."
=> drop the "of course" part, makes LLVM sound too bloody complex (it
is complex, but also well structured)

"This is my primary motivation for working on a FORTRAN front-end:
gaining experience and background. I am here to learn, and if my
learning allows both the LLVM community and the FORTRAN community to
receive an excellent tool, as it assuredly will, so much the better."
=> "My primary motivation for working an a FORTRAN front-end for LLVM
is gaining experience and background in software development. I want
to learn from this experience, and would like to contribute to both
the LLVM and FORTRAN community doing so."

"I will possess roughly three-months this summer to work on the front-
end,"
=> "I will be able to spend roughly three-months  this summer to work
on the front-end"

"LLVM, FORTAN (I've programmed a lot of languages, but never that),
and GCC's"
=> drop the part between brackets, makes the project sound less
likely to succeed

"- 1 week – Documentation, make sure that the front-end can be
maintained by someone else."
=> I think it is consired better if you develop your documentation
along with the implementation. Experience has taught me if you plan
to comment your code afterwards, you won't. You could also state that
the Documentation part will consist of hacking up examples or
similar, but don't make it sound that you'll document your code
afterwards, because you won't.

"- 3 weeks – "Shit Happens"
=> Don't use shit :-) And maybe put this in a phrase: "The three
remaining weeks will be used to solve problems related to the project
which are not in the current plan"

"I'm psyched :)

I am confident that this is a very manageable project, I will complete
it on time, and I will learn a great deal in the process of
implementing it."

=> "I am thrilled to start working on this project, and feel that I
will be able to complete it on time succesfully. While working on
this project, I hope to learn a great deal."

Please don't hesitate to show us your updated proposal again before
sending it.

greetings,

Kenneth

kenneth.hoste at elis.ugent.be