[LLVMdev] Possible to build shared LLVM libraries?

Reid Spencer rspencer at reidspencer.com
Wed Mar 7 11:34:47 PST 2007

Hi Andreas,

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 19:49 +0100, Andreas Eriksson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it possible to build LLVM into shared (dynamic) libraries on MacOSX
> (or other platforms)? I tried "./configure --disable-static
> --enable-shared=yes" but without success; I still got only the
> .a-libraries.

Unfortunately, no. This is on the "to do" list but we've not done it. It
will take a significant modification of the makefile system to
accomplish this (i.e. use libtool in much the same way as automake
does).

One reason we've not used shared libraries is because libtool will
generally create both versions and this doubles compile times. Compile
time is too long as is and doubling it would be a real strain on
productivity. What we would like to do is provide support for exactly
what you tried (--disable-static and --enable-shared) so that developers
can pick and choose what they want. The default will be --enable-static
and --disable-shared. However, if you want to enable either or both, we
should support it.