[LLVMdev] Subversion Migration

Reid Spencer rspencer at reidspencer.com
Fri Mar 2 16:00:06 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 17:48 -0600, John Criswell wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I've just heard that there's been a recent discussion on the IRC channel
> about moving the LLVM source repository from CVS to Subversion (SVN) and
> that this migration may happen "soon."

Yes, its been talked about for ages and its time to do it. We've debated
the choice of repositories for a long time but since we want llvm-gcc
and llvm to be in the same (kind of ) repository, SVN is the only
choice. (Apple must use SVN for llvm-gcc). So, that narrowed the choices
for LLVM significantly.

We have a pending PR open for upgrading to SVN (PR1229). We should track
progress there.

> Is such a migration being planned, and if so, what is the timeframe?

Sometime in March. We have requested an upgrade on Zion from SVN 1.1.4
to 1.4.3. That won't happen before March 9. You've also requested that
we delay this until after your deadline, March 18th, which we will do.
So, we should say that this is going to happen in the last week of March
or so.

> How will the migration be performed?

After much testing. Anton and I are performing the conversion process,
finding bugs, and scripting it so that it is repeatable. There are
problematic ,v files in the repository (really old deleted ones in the
Attic) and the script will handle these. Additionally, we need to test
things like nightly tester, web site integration, etc.

We will do our best to limit the impact of the cut over to < 1 day.

The cvs server will continue to function in "read-only" mode for a
little while after the cut over. That is, only anonymous logins will be
permitted and all commit access will be moved from CVS to SVN. This will
allow some time for people to migrate their nightly testers, etc.,
without breaking horribly.

>  I and other LLVM users have
> deadlines in the near future, so we would like to have input on when
> such a migration will be performed.

After your deadlines are done :)