[LLVMdev] Segment Register Use

Holger Schurig hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de
Wed Jul 25 07:35:01 PDT 2007

> if your LLVM still depends on either Generic or some of the
> RTL models they use in various processor definitions, I
> express concern for optimization and compilation.

Thank you for your concerns.

However, LLVM is in the first place an environment to write
compilers. As an example for llvm, it can use the GCC frontend
for compilation. "clang" is another compile, that can compile
programs without any call to any gcc part.

To learn more about code-generation for x86 targets inside LLVM
(e.g. without the help of GCC), look at those files:

http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/trunk/lib/Target/X86

Also, can you provide an example of the same program, once
compiled with the use of CS/DS and once without this?  I mean:
show use the assembly code. How far apart is the performance of
those two test programs?  For which ABI can you compile with
using CS/DS?  AFAIK a Linux environment disables this.

Somehow your mail remembers me at times than I compiled under
MSDOS and I had several memory models to select from,
e.g. "tiny", "medium", "large", "flat" ...