[LLVMdev] GenericValue changes from 1.8 to 2.0

Reid Spencer rspencer at reidspencer.com
Tue Jul 17 20:48:06 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 18:24 -0700, Sarah Thompson wrote:
> Were there any other major structural changes to lli between 1.8 and
> 2.0, or was that basically the 'big one'? I'm currently thinking I might
> drop most of my code that was based on the 1.8 sources and basically
> start again from the 2.0 lli sources. A much bigger job than I'd
> anticipated, though it would be a lot worse if my backtracking memory
> implementation hadn't been kept separate.

You could look at the changes yourself by reviewing the commit logs on
the various files, but a quick recap:

* lli has the same basic architecture
* it now supports arbitrary bitwidth integers, thus the GenericValue
change
* it works with the changed instructions in 1.9 and 2.0 (see
LangRef.html)
* some big ugly macros in Execution.cpp were reduced and the code
revised
  to make it easier to follow
* There are some new debug features for printing the instructions while
  executing.
* Some bugs were fixed in scanf and fscanf support and GEP handling
* There were several changes to accommodate other things in the IR like
  elimination of static constructions, VMCore interface changes, etc.
* IntrinsicLowering mechanisms were changed slightly.

I also suggest you read the release notes for the releases and status
updates since 1.8 to get some context on the overall changes to LLVM.

Reid.

> Aaargh, etc. That'll teach me not to develop against the head branch...

Developing against the trunk is fun :)

Reid.