[LLVMdev] API design

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Tue Jul 3 10:26:53 PDT 2007

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007, David Greene wrote:
>>> This seems like the right solution to me.  Unless llvm is running on
>>> extremely limited memory embedded systems, the extra code space
>>> shouldn't be an issue.
>>
>> Code size is always an issue.
>
> To a greater or lesser degree.  Context matters.

You're right of course, let me rephrase what I meant.  These are changes
to VMCore.  Any bloat to VMCore will affect anything that uses the LLVM
IR.  As such, bloat can prevent LLVM from being used by various things
that it might otherwise be suitable for.  We did quite a bit of work to
reduce template bloat to reduce codesize for the opengl work we did, for
example.  Code size does matter :)

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/