[LLVMdev] Top Level Stuff

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Mon Jul 2 10:56:47 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007, Gordon Henriksen wrote:
> As a possibly less-engineered complement, your end-state could be
> provided simply by creating folders in Subversion prefabbed with
> appropriate svn:externals. Make one for each end-project (llvm-gcc,
> new-cfe, and soforth). It's not nearly so clever, but it might allow
> initial usage much closer to the 'configure; make; make install'
> convention.

My goal is to make it so you *don't* check out all of the LLVM stuff by
default.  For example, the webpage has binaries of every release so far.
Noone wants to check that stuff out.  Likewise, LLVM has several
"dead/in-stasis" projects (like llvm-java and llvm-tv) which people don't
want to check out unless they are interested in revitalizing them.

I don't know enough about svn-externals to know how it handles this.

> Also, there's only enough info on the command-line there to do a
> trunk checkout. What about branches and tags? Sorry to harp on these,
> but my experience with Subversion is that it's important to
> accommodate them.

Branches are really only important to us for releases.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.org/