[LLVMdev] llvm-poolalloc compilation failed

John T. Criswell criswell at cs.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 23 21:12:24 PST 2007

Vikram S. Adve wrote:

> This kind of regression is a fallout of having some code live in
> separate CVS modules as "projects."  It would help to have someone
> volunteer to maintain each project, which can be as little as making
> sure it continues to compile or as much as supporting it with answers
> to questions and bug fixes.  Here is the current list of projects:

I've been using the llvm-poolalloc project in my work and have currently
been keeping it up to date.  However, mainline LLVM CVS has been moving
faster than I'm able to keep up; constantly updating llvm-poolalloc
every time mainline LLVM has changed has proved too time consuming.
I've decided that it's better to update once mainline has stabalized
(and I've got more time).

So, for now, I'm using LLVM 1.9 (technically, the release_19 branch,
which is identical to LLVM 1.9 except that DSA has been moved from the
LLVM source base to the Pool Allocation project).  Using the release_19
branch of the llvm and llvm-poolalloc modules should give you something
that compiles and (hopefully) works.

To get it, download the llvm-gcc3 or llvm-gcc4 frontend from the website
and then grab the LLVM/PoolAllocation source using the following commands:

cvs -d :pserver:anon at llvm.org:/var/cvs/llvm login
<Hit return for an empty password>
cvs -d :pserver:anon at llvm.org:/var/cvs/llvm co -r release_19 llvm
cd llvm/projects
cvs -d :pserver:anon at llvm.org:/var/cvs/llvm co -r release_19 llvm-poolalloc

-- John T.

> llvm-poolalloc
> llvm-java (currently unused AFAIK)
> llvm-stacker
> llvm-tv
>

> Would anyone like to volunteer for one or more of these?
>

> --Vikram
>
> http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~vadve <http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/%7Evadve>
>
> http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/
>

> On Jan 23, 2007, at 10:53 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Ryan M. Lefever wrote:
>>
>>> I tried to compile the currently checked in version of llvm-poolalloc
>>> with the curently checked in version of llvm and got the following
>>> errors:
>>>
>>> llvm[4]: Compiling Heuristic.cpp for Debug build  (PIC)
>>> Heuristic.cpp: In function 'bool Wants8ByteAlignment(const llvm::Type*,
>>> unsigned int, const llvm::TargetData&)':
>>> Heuristic.cpp:77: error: 'const class llvm::TargetData' has no member
>>> named 'getTypeAlignment'
>>

>> The getTypeAlignment method was renamed to getTypeAlignmentABI, it
>> should
>> be safe to make that substitution.
>>
>> -Chris
>>
>>> There seem to be 3 methods in TargetData that are close to
>>> getTypeAlignment(): getTypeAlignmentABI (), getTypeAlignmentPref (),
>>> getTypeAlignmentShift ().  Does anyone working on llvm-poolalloc know
>>> what method should be used.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ryan