[LLVMdev] OK, how does this work?

Michael T. Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 18:24:56 PST 2007

I'm trying to get LLVM1.9 working on my Ubuntu 6.10 system.  The LLVM
version in the repositories is 1.7 and I've never managed to get it
successfully working because whoever packaged it thought it would be fun
to rename everything.  This means I can't use it to build 1.9 and I've
therefore decided to try bootstrapping a 1.9 build.

Yes, I've looked at the docs where it said this isn't for the faint of
heart.  Unfortunately the binary builds provided (RC5 and RHEL4) simply
don't work for me -- they're asking for .so files that don't exist
anywhere on my system, nor within their tarballs.  (libelf.so.1 for
starters)  So I've had to crack open the books and try a bootstrap
build.

The build instructions provided tell me to build llvm-gcc first from the
source.  The source for that tells me to build llvm first from the
source.  I'm not sure where to go from this point.  I have two
dependencies whose documentation each points firmly at the other as the
first step to build.  I've tried it both ways and been burned by error
messages about missing or dysfunctional pieces.

What's the next step?  How do I actually do a bootstrap?

--
Michael T. Richter
Email: ttmrichter at gmail.com, mtr1966 at hotpop.com
MSN: ttmrichter at hotmail.com, mtr1966 at hotmail.com; YIM:
michael_richter_1966; AIM: YanJiahua1966; ICQ: 241960658; Jabber:
mtr1966 at jabber.cn

"I find many of the machines of violence very attractive. Tanks,
airplanes, warships, especially aircraft carriers. And the German
U-boats, submarines." --The Dalai Lama