[LLVMdev] Embedded C Extensions

Evan Cheng evan.cheng at apple.com
Thu Feb 22 15:59:33 PST 2007

On Feb 20, 2007, at 12:46 PM, Peter Wiedermann wrote:

> Because 3-4 months are a long time for us, i would like merge the
> llvm-gcc to a more recent version of gcc.
>
> Actually the fixed-point support for gcc is developed in a 4.3 branch
> which is regularly merged with the trunk. So there are 2 possible
> approaches:
>
>    1) port llvm-gcc to the actual fixed-point branch (gcc 4.3)
>
>    2) port llvm-gcc to gcc 4.2
>       and backport the fixed-point extensions to that llvm-gcc4.2
>       (i assume the backport will not be that much work because the
>       frontends will not really differ)
>
> I think the decision basically depends on your release plans.
> If you want to keep track with the current 4.3 development, the first
> approach would be the better one.
> If you don't like a llvm-gcc release for every gcc release, the second
> approach seems better to me.
> So let me know about your preference.

LLVM may go the 4.2 route when it's done (formally released) and if
the compile time regressions are fixed. 4.3 is still so far away, who
knows when that's going to be done. I don't think it's likely the
"official" llvm-gcc will go either 4.2 and 4.3 route in the immediate
timeframe.

It's possible for you to create your own 4.3 llvm-gcc branch. But you
may be on your own for a while if you go that route.

Evan