[LLVMdev] Software Pipelineing | Embedded C Extensions

Dietmar Ebner ebner at complang.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Feb 14 02:18:44 PST 2007

Pertti,

On Feb 13, 2007, at 7:34 PM, Pertti Kellomäki wrote:
> Dietmar Ebner wrote:
>>  most of the work seems to be done in an architecture dependent,
>> very low-
>> level IR. are there any efforts to generalize architecture
>> independent portions
>> of the code.
>>     any comments on this are very appreciated.
>
> We are in a similar situation, with an architecture in our
> hands that needs software pipelining support. Since SW pipelining
> is by its very nature quite architecture dependent, I don't know
> how much could be generalized, but we would certainly be interested
> in working on it.
that's good news. in the past, we made good experiences with compiler
components generated from a high-level architecture description, i.e.,
we already generated descriptions for a graph coloring register
allocator,
a scheduler with operation table support, and a grammar for a tree
pattern
matcher - though not yet for llvm but for a hand-crafted backend.

so far, it appears to be reasonable to derive the architecture
dependent portions from a target resource model specification, e.g.,
using
TableGen. however, we're at the very beginning of this project and
i'm not
yet aware of all the details. we'll definitely come back to you once we
have more insight.

cheers

-
dietmar