[LLVMdev] LLVM for static code analysis

Emmanuel Bastien ebastien at amadeus.com
Sun Dec 9 05:22:14 PST 2007

Hi,
Apart from the Calysto project (
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~babic/index_calysto.htm), is there any other static
code analysis tool based of the LLVM framework ?
Calysto may be great but it seems that the source is not available (yet?).
I was quite excited by Oink/Elsa few years ago but the project is almost
dead even if the C++ parser is far from being complete.
It seems to me that everything is ready in LLVM to build
industrial-strength static analysis tools. Clang is of course a big step
towards real-time parsing and IDE integration but the quality of llvm-gcc
should be enough for many practical applications.
I am interested in automated code review, coverage and metrics. as done by
commercial products like Parasoft C++test. What I am not sure yet is
whether the LLVM IR is rich enough for the job or if I should wait for the
dedicated C++ ASTof clang.

Best regards,
Emmanuel Bastien
Amadeus IT Group SA